A collection of ideas and resource references for breaking down communication and instruction, to make them non-threatening and easily understandable
Monday, October 1, 2012
Steve Jobs: simplicity in presentation as well as Apple design
In my VoxoPop introduction to this blog, I cited Apple's design of application icons and user interface on the iPad as an example of "simplicity for the learner," behind which lay a lot of development work and high technology. Besides the comfortable appearance and intuitive navigation of Apple products, Steve Jobs is also cited for his good product presentations, which are similarly simple in appearance, yet engaging, understandable and effective. Here is a Youtube video with a distillation of pointers on how to present like Steve Jobs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you about keeping it simple. It's the way to approach everything especially when you are trying to communicate with someone else. It sounds like you have to practice that extensively in your work. I imagine it creates great discipline. Thanks for sharing the video. I will find it very useful.
ReplyDeleteI left a message on VoxoPop referring to a presentation by Ken Robinson on TED Talks about education. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/r9LelXa3U_I
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Youtube link, Carol. Ken Robinson's wish that we "tread lightly on our children's dreams" can be challenging for professionals with limited time for intensive individual attention to students, or who increasingly have to carry out high-stakes standardized assessments that can sometimes be narrow in scope. It's nonetheless a worthy goal. A speech I gave the year I graduated from high school eons ago agreed with Sir Ken: some of us are going on to college, some are going on to other things, but if we put our hearts into these pursuits and the needs of people around us, we'll all be doing something valuable.
DeleteHi Fred, Like Carol, I agree with you about keeping things simple. In my work, I equate this to how physicians should speak with their patients: lose the medical jargon and use living room language, no more than three ideas given at one time (as to not to overload the patient), and make sure written patient education materials are written at a 5th grade or below 5th grade reading level. I am looking forward to following your blog postings. Thank you, Maura
ReplyDeleteIn case the Youtube video intrigued you, here is a long Smithsonian article on Steve Jobs and simple design:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/How-Steve-Jobs-Love-of-Simplicity-Fueled-A-Design-Revolution-166251016.html#
Just a quick shout out! Nice work.
ReplyDelete